Pink box 3 - Objects and words
- A pink box containing six objects representing three-letter phonic words.
- Six reading cards with the corresponding words to the objects.
Example words: cat, jug, hen, box, top and pig. Other words to be selected from the Morris-Montessori Word List Pink Level - Pink Level nouns.
This is an individual presentation to be carried out on the table on a tablemat. (Note: full work cycle to be observed).
- The Directress places the Pink box 3 with the lid underneath the box on the right hand corner of the mat. She takes out the objects one at a time. As she lay the object in a horizontal line (3 objects in a row), she names the object.
- Directress then takes the word cards, checks to see they are not upside down, puts it neatly in a stack.
- She then takes one card, places it in front of the child and invites the child to sound out the letters.
- Encourage the child to sound the letters a bit quicker, blending them.
- Directress assists the child by blending the first card.
- Ask the child 'What does it sound like?'.
- The child will respond and then invite the child to place the word card below the respective object.
- Repeat for all the word cards, assisting a child when needed.
Control Of Error
There are the same numbers of objects as word cards - a mismatch may reveal any mistakes.
Points Of Interest
It is advisable to have several boxes at this level to provide more opportunities for the child to read.
- Introduce the first reading cards.
- Provide practice in sounding and blending sounds to read words.