Blue Box 3 - Objects and words
- A blue box containing six objects.
- Six reading cards with the corresponding words to the objects. Words may include the 'ng' pattern.
Example words: stamp, ring, string, grip, clog, pump, ... etc. Other words to be selected from the Morris- Montessori Word List - Blue Level nouns.
This is an individual presentation (Note: full work cycle to be observed).
- The Directress places the Blue Box 3 with the lid underneath the box on the right hand corner of the mat.
- She takes out the object one at a time. As she lays the object in a horizontal line (3 objects in a row), she names the object.
- Directress then takes the word cards, checks to see they are not upside down, puts it neatly in a stack.
- She then takes one card, places it in front of the child and invites the child to sound out the letters.
- Encourage the child to sound out the letters a bit quicker, blending them.
- Ask the child, 'What does it sound like?'.
- The child will respond and then, invite the child to place the word card below the respective object.
- Repeat for all the word cards, assisting the child when needed.
Control Of Error
There are the same numbers of objects as word cards - a mismatch may reveal any mistakes.
Points Of Interest
- Practice reading larger phonic words.
- Extend decoding skills.
- Learn new letter patterns.
- Provide more boxes at this level for the children to read.
- These boxes may be used with the LMA for word building. After building the words, the Directress may wish to show the child how to use the word cards to check the spelling of words on their own.