Consonant Puzzle Box
- Pictures containing different initial consonants, pasted on small pieces of cardboard.
- Initial consonant printed on bottom of each card.
- Card is cut apart as in a jigsaw puzzle.
Medial Vowel: Follow same procedure as with Initial Consonant exerxise only emphasize the Medial vowel.
Final Consonant: Follow same procedure as with Initial Consonant exerxise only emphasize the Final consonant.
Matching Capitals to Small Letters: Have puzzles with capital letter on one side. Cut so it becomes a puzzle child has to match.
Divide into 6 drawers (4 letters each plus control cards).
- Child separates pictures and letters.
- Place pictures in horizontal colum across top of desk.
- Name each picture, stress initial consonant, then find that consonant and connect puzzle.
- Mix up and let child repeat exercise.
Control Of Error
- Material itself has control of error built in, because the jigsaw puzzle doesn't fit together if put together wrong.
- The directress.
Points Of Interest
- The pictures.
- Fitting the pieces together like a puzzle.
- To develop auditory and visual discrimination of initial consonants.
- To provide drill and reinforcement of consonant sounds.
Have small pictures cut from workbooks, etc., scissors, paste, crayons, small pieces of paper. Have child paste a picture on each piece of paper. Color. Write initial consonant below each picture. Have child cut apart as jigsaw puzzle.