Land and Water Forms
- 1 Age
- 2 Materials
- 3 Preparation
- 4 Presentation
- 5 Control Of Error
- 6 Points Of Interest
- 7 Purpose
- 8 Variation
- 9 Links
- 10 Handouts/Attachments
- 11 Conservatives fear deluge of regulations in shutdowns wake
- 12 Two dead in Israel-Gaza border violence
- 13 Warren Commission Report: High Level Coverup Of JFK Assassination?
- 14 Police: Reserve Officer Beat 4-Year-Old, Put Him in Critical Condition
- 15 Nigel Farage Slams Barrosos European Disaster
Models representing the following forms of physical geography:
- system of lakes
The following additional materials:
- Water jug
- A set of Terminology cards of maps of the Land and Water Forms including definitions of particular land or water form. Wikisori has a free copy available for download here: Land and Water Form Terminology Cards
This can be an individual or group presentation.
Directress pours water into one of the forms, saying, "Look, I've made a Lake. A Lake is water surrounded by land. Would you like to make a lake?"
She pours the water back into the jug and allows the child to repeat the exercise.
Repeat for the Island.
Introduce each of the landforms in pairs.
Control Of Error
Points Of Interest
Land and Water form definitions:
- A Lake is surrounded by land.
- An Island is land surrounded by water.
- A Bay is a sea, partly enclosed by land.
- A Cape is land protruding out into the sea.
- A Gulf is sea penetrating a long way into the land.
- A Peninsula is a land jutting out into the sea.
- A strait is a narrow strip of water joining two large areas of water.
- An Isthmus is a narrow strip of land joining two large areas of land.
You can make your own land and water forms by using cake pans or sandwich containers and a non-hardening clay such as Plasteline.
- Introduction to Land and Water forms.
- Make the child aware of the existence of the various land and water forms.
- Preparation of later systematic study of physical geography.
- Refine eye-hand coordination.
Conservatives fear deluge of regulations in shutdowns wake
Julian Hattem and Ben Goad The Hill October 19, 2013 The federal rulemaking machine is rumbling back to life as agency officials tackle the backlog of work that was created by the government shutdown. Conservatives worry officials are preparing a surge of new regulations to make up for lost time and meet upcoming deadlines. Liberals, meanwhile, are relieved that rule makers ...
Two dead in Israel-Gaza border violence
BBC December 24, 2013 A three-year-old Palestinian girl has been killed in a series of retaliatory Israeli strikes on the Gaza Strip. The attacks came hours after an Israeli civilian was shot dead by a Palestinian sniper while repairing the border security fence. Israels military said its aircraft and tanks had carried out strikes on several terror sites, including ...
Warren Commission Report: High Level Coverup Of JFK Assassination?
Special Report in Observance of the 50th Anniversary of the JFK Assassination Nov. 22, 2013 The assassination of John F.Kennedy arouses more controversy and skepticism among Americans than any other event of the last century. His death before the end of his term in office was a blow to the hopes and aspirations of many. JFKs appeal was truly multi-generational ...
Police: Reserve Officer Beat 4-Year-Old, Put Him in Critical Condition
Boy sustained blunt force trauma, seven broken ribs and had to be life-flighted to nearby hospital Adan Salazar Infowars.com January 16, 2014 An Oregon reserve officer and former sheriffs deputy is behind bars after allegedly beating his girlfriends four-year-old son nearly to death. 4-year-old boy in critical condition at the Oregon Health & Science University ...
Nigel Farage Slams Barrosos European Disaster
Zero Hedge September 13, 2013 Following Barrosos State of the EU speech, we thought it useful to reflect on the true state of the EU. Nigel Farages recent tirade slammingCommunist Barrosos pro-bureaucrat policies are poignant as he exclaims the disaster that the EU has become for the poor and unemployed. To further color this rant we note Charles ...